Student Health Services has developed contact tracing protocols and procedures in conjunction with public health professionals and public health agencies, such as the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control. Student Health Services’ trained staff will conduct contact tracing and care planning interviews with members of the university community who have tested positive or are presumed positive for COVID-19. Members of the UofSC community who have been in close contact with COVID-19 positive individuals also will be contact traced, while courtesy outreach may also be done for non-UofSC close contacts.
Student Health Services’ contact tracing and care plan interviews aim to:
- Ensure that the individual has access to appropriate medical care on campus or in the community, to include follow-up testing.
- Explore the possible route of infection or exposure.
- Identify close contacts and other individuals who may be at risk for infection.
- Educate the individual on the need to quarantine or isolate and determine the individual’s plan.
- Identify the support services and needs for the individuals to successfully quarantine or isolate.
Follow-up activity as a result of the contact-tracing interview may include but not limited to:
- Contacting faculty members via the undergraduate student ombudsperson to notify them of exposure to a positive COVID-19 individual
- Providing documentation for employers or others to support the individual.
- Coordinating food, safe housing or transportation needs.
- Medical monitoring of COVID-19 symptoms.
- Medical and mental health support.
Effective contact tracing relies on conducting interviews in a timely manner. Complying with requests for information from a contract tracer is an important expectation and a necessity as the University better understands and mitigates the spread of COVID-19. A safe and secure COVID-19 hotline is in operation to educate the campus community and receive reports concerning the coronavirus. The COVID-19 hotline number is: 803-576-8511. The University will protect the privacy and identity of individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 in accordance with applicable privacy laws and regulations.